SafeStraw allows healthcare providers to safely manage swallowed liquid volume and help reduce aspiration risk of patients with oral motor dysfunction.
Problem: Patients with oral motor dysfunction have difficulty controlling a liquid bolus and often swallow prematurely causing them to aspirate.
Solution: SafeStraw™ limits volume to 6.2 ml's, per sip helping to reduce the likelihood of aspiration by promoting a controllable liquid bolus.
Result: Limited bolus size helps reduce aspiration risks allowing patients to safely, discreetly, and independently drink from a variety of containers such as cups and bottles.
Features & Benefits:
- Successfully delivers approximately 6.2ml’s (roughly 1 teaspoon) of nutrition per sip
- Alleviates the laborious task of manually controlling volume intake by squeezing a straw or spoon-feeding
- Assists with the prevention of aspiration and oral motor control of a liquid
- Two versions allow use with both thin or nectar thickened fluids
- Discreet drinking tool. Fits in a variety of drinking containers including cups and bottles.
- Disassembles for easy cleaning with hot water and soap, or the top rack of a non-industrial dishwasher
- Great training tool