The Tongue Press developed by Kathleen Smead. This is a clinically developed therapy tool for strengthening the tongue. It incorporates the principles of exercise and resistance training for improved speech and swallowing abilities.
- Filled with water and adjusted by loosening or tightening the valve
- Water-filled bulb is placed on the tongue and pressed against the hard palate
- By practicing repetitively, the client increases strength
- Can be sent home with client to practice thereby expanding the benefits of direct treatment and reducing the cost of care
- The exercise is performed 3 three times daily for adults with frequency modified for children